Day 3 of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge: A picture of my pet!

When I was around 8 years developed a deep and powerful obsession with dogs. My mom got me an encyclopedia-like book of dog breeds at a library sale, which I think is what sparked this interest for me. I would pour over the pages of this book to the point where I could quickly identify dogs I saw on the street and could quickly produce the names of several exotic dog breeds almost immediately if asked.


I can't remember the exact name of the book, but its pages looked a lot like this!

Looking at the pictures in my book soon turned to browsing photos of the pups at the Humane Society of Indianapolis. I would look every day to check up on my virtual puppies (I never had a DS, so I guess these were like my Nintendogs) and would beg anyone who would listen to take me to visit them. I remember going over to my friend Helen's house and asking her dad if he would take us to visit a chow chow I was looking at at the time.

Although I never ended up adopting a dog from the Humane Society, it certainly started my mission to get my parents to let us get a dog. After months of pleading and reasoning with my parents, we all agreed to look for a Cavalier King Charles--a face that anyone, even my mom who didn't have dogs growing up and wasn't very excited at the thought of getting one--could love. 

We found Benji (known then as Handsome) with a family in southern Indiana. He was just eight weeks old, so we couldn't bring him home just yet, but we knew he was ours. When we finally got to bring him home, I couldn't get enough! 

My sister Hannah and I call Benji our little brother!

To this day, Benji, now nearly 13 years old, still loves to snuggle, go on walks, and lick the couch (and your hand)! Although he sometimes causes trouble around the house by getting into things he's not supposed to, we still love him very much!


When Benji was a puppy we would get his ears trimmed. He looks so young here!



Me and Benji taking a selfie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

First Week Done!