Sophomore Slump

In just a few days I will go home for Fall Break. Most days I feel like each passing week goes by quicker and quicker. I remember this time last year thinking that Fall Break came sooner than I expected. This year, I sometimes feel like the school year is dragging on. In some ways this break is a welcomed hiatus from my crazy academic schedule, many extracurricular activities, and stress which I have already experienced during my second year of college.

People often refer to the second year of college as the “sophomore slump.” While I in no way feel like I am in a “slump,” I definitely have had a harder time adjusting to school this year than last year. As a freshman, I immediately embraced my quasi-independence, dorm life, and all the new people I met. As a sophomore, many of these things are to be expected. Since everything is not quite as shiny and new, sometimes it’s easy to get discouraged.

With that being said, I have certainly found ways to try to make this year just as memorable, if not more memorable, than last year.

Entering into the second year of my English major, I am beginning to analyze more closely my future career options. Last week my friend Noah and I took advantage of the career week hosted by the Ball State English department. On Tuesday, we took a personality assessment to determine what sorts of work environments we would thrive in. I learned that wherever I end up, I need to work in an environment where I can collaborate with and bounce ideas off of other people.

Watching TV shows with my good friends is a fun way to break up my busy schedule and take time to enjoy free time when I get it. Every week, we watch "Empire" and "How to Get Away with Murder." We also enjoy gathering to watch awards shows when they’re on!

This past weekend, I celebrated Ball State’s Homecoming with my sorority. Between Air Jam, homecoming tailgate, and the football game on Saturday, I kept very busy.

During times when I feel less than optimistic, I have learned to put my experiences into perspective. Although I don’t live in the exact conditions as last year, I love my dorm room and adore my roommate. Although I am extremely busy and stressed this year, I am preparing myself well for the future. And although I may not be meeting new people every day, I still am surrounded by the most wonderful and diverse group of friends, and what could be more promising than that?


Sophomores before Air Jam!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes