Halloween Weekend and I-Week

Sigma Kappa welcomed in Halloween weekend on Wednesday with our Halloween-themed Capture the Flag game with FIJI. More than 60 teams competed and we raised over $7,000 that will go towards our philanthropy (Alzheimer's research) as well as FIJI's philanthropy (muscular dystrophy). My excellent friends from my dorm agreed to be on my team, and although they never got to play, we had lots of fun taking pictures and telling ghost stories in the dark on LaFollette fields. The Capture the Flag event was successful because we raised lots of money and I spent a lot of quality time with my sisters!



On Thursday night, my dorm hosted trick-or-treating for kids in the Muncie area. Sterling, Mary, and I dressed up and passed out candy in our dorm lobby with the dozens of other DeHo residents. The little kids seemed very excited to be getting candy from "big" college students! I wrote an article about the event for News and Notes, the Honors publication at Ball State. Here's the link if you want to check it out! http://ballstatenewsandnotes.weebly.com/notes

On Halloween, Sterling and I went to see Ball State's production of The Crucible. Then we met up with Mary and some other friends to see Rocky Horror Picture Show! After the very eccentric production, which was held this year in Emens, we went to Steak 'n Shake before returning to campus. 


On Saturday afternoon and evening, I volunteered with some other Sigma Kappas at a local church's Fall Festival. We got to be in charge of the games set up in the gym for little kids to play and were in charge of distributing prizes. It felt really good to volunteer and be part of such a fun fall event in the community! At the end of the event, I went on the hayride with two of my sisters, Katherine and Allison.


This whole past week has been two very important events in Sigma Kappa: I-week, since initiation is on Sunday, and Week of Giving. For Week of Giving, there have been service projects set up every day and each girl got to choose which we wanted to participate in! On Monday I volunteered at a local nursing home with about 20-30 other Sigma Kappas. We volunteer in the Alzheimer's Unit since one of our philanthropies is Gerontology with a focus in Alzheimer's disease research.

We have also had fun events every night this week for I-week. The events focused on new members (like myself) who are getting initiated this weekend! Each night we received a gift from our "Secret Sigma" and made a craft! 



Last night was de-pinning, a ceremony where our new member pins are removed in preparation for initiation on Sunday! My friend Sarah Elizabeth and I took just a few pictures to commemorate the event...


This week I also scheduled my classes for next semester. I am looking forward to next semester or a new set of classes as well as being an official member of Sigma Kappa!
Thank you for reading and participating in my New Beginnings!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes