It's Okay to Go Home

After leaving high school and beginning college, I think that many people are hesitant to return to places from their past. Since college is so different from any experience I ever had in high school, I too initially was hesitant to return to my high school or other places which I used to frequent. I understand how important independence is in college, and I think that in order to maintain that independence, it’s important to get involved on campus and avoid returning home too often. For that reason, I almost never come home on weekends, unless it’s for a break or for a family event. However, throughout this semester I have realized that sometimes, it’s good to be home. And yes, sometimes it’s even good to visit places from your past.

My Spring Break started February 28, which made Spring Break more like a second Winter Break. Instead of flocking to Florida or Mexico, I stayed home the entire break to spend time with my sister and the rest of my family! My mom and I traveled and spent a few days in Cincinnati visiting my Grandpa, Aunt, and Uncle. Living away from home, it’s even harder to get away to visit family, so I like to take advantage of the breaks I have from school! My birthday was on Sunday, so naturally my mom told every waiter or waitress at every restaurant we went to all week that it was my birthday! I got a lot of free desserts that I probably shouldn't have, but that’s what moms are for, right?

Me and my Grandpa when I visited him in Cincinnati!

Fortunately, two of my best friends Paige and Sarah were also home for Spring Break during the same time as me, so I got to hang out with each of them twice. I also went one morning to visit my former English teacher and cross country coach. She is one of my greatest role models in life, and to talk to her for even just a half an hour was much needed! In my coach’s classroom, I saw my former teammates from cross country, since we all used to hang out there in the mornings. I also went with my mom back to my elementary school, and even though most teachers that I had have retired, I did get to see my first grade teacher and music teacher. They both immediately knew who I was, which I thought was amazing since I haven’t seen them in at least eight years.

My friends Linnea and Paige! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture with Sarah during this break.

One good thing about having a Spring Break that lie so early is I was home for not one, but two showchoir competitions! I love watching Descants (the top women’s showchoir from my high school) perform, even though it’s weird to be in the audience when for the past two years I’ve been on stage. Most of my friends that I met when they were freshmen and sophomores are now juniors and seniors, and it feels so good to watch them having the time of their lives onstage, especially because I know what that feels like. Watching my younger sister is my favorite part! She is a beautiful singer and dancer and such a natural onstage, and I know being in North Central choirs has been her dream since we were little. She came to every single one of my competitions and concerts when I was in Descants, so I’m really excited that this week I was able to support her too.

My sister and me after her performance at a showchoir competition this week!


Over the past week I have really experienced the joys which are family, friends, and the lifelong friendship that comes with both of those things. I know that my family, friends, and former teachers alike will always be there for me no matter what, and nothing is more comforting than that support. By visiting the places that were so important to me in the past, I realized how fortunate I am to have such supportive and nurturing people in my life, who have shaped me into who I am today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes