Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes

Welcome to my blog! I've been thinking of beginning a blog for a while now, and my transition to college life seems like the perfect platform! Additionally, I am beginning my track to an English major; it never hurts to write more! I appreciate many of my family and friends' interest in my beginning days on campus, welcome week, and all my new classes. By beginning this blog, I hope to give you all a view into my daily life as I transition into college. 

I moved on campus on Wednesday, August 13th. My move-in was smooth with my awesome roommate Casey!


Saying goodbye to my parents after we were all moved in was difficult, but all of us are excited for my new adventures! Yesterday, August 18, was the first day of classes. The five days in between move-in and classes showed no shortage of fun activities for incoming freshmen! I got the opportunity to meet many new friends at the Honors College picnic and scavenger hunt on the 14th, which required us to run all around campus and further oriented us about the layout of Ball State (naturally, I was still very lost and took another two hours the next day to find my classes). Later that night, all freshmen were ushered to the beautiful Worthen Arena for a class pep-rally where we were introduced to the university's new president as well as various athletic coaches! The Code Red Dance team, cheerleaders, and marching band performed as well. Afterwards, Casey and I returned to our dorm where we were greeted by a dance party in the lobby of our residence hall! We ended up grabbing a plate of pretzels to take to a friend's dorm, but not before the Wobble! On Friday, I walked my class schedule with my friends Sterling and Melanie. After tiring ourselves out in the heat, we took the opportunity to relax until dinner time. Following dinner was a special show in Emens Auditorium: a hypnotist! While I'm still not sure if hypnotism is plausible, the show itself featured 12 college students acting ridiculously and therefore was still entertaining. Saturday night we partook in the Activities Fair (overwhelming to say the least) and then headed to the Student Center for "Late Nite," an event put on every Saturday night featuring carnival games, a dance party, and lots of free food! With classes approaching at alarming speed, we once again gathered as a class for a freshman convocation. Despite having the word "convocation" in its name, the event was interesting because we were addressed by a 2011 graduate who now is a producer at Harpo studios! We then broke into smaller groups to discuss our summer reading book, The Other Wes Moore. By nightfall, it was time to assemble my backpack and make sure my first day outfit was in place!

The first day of classes began on Monday.



Due to a scheduling issue, I ended up not having any classes until 11 AM! My first class was an honors humanities course. The class was small, only 25 people, and we all introduced ourselves and gave the standard information-major, year, do we love Ball State?, etc. I also found out I don't need either of the two textbooks that I ordered for the course! (For those coming into college next year- be aware that this may happen.) I grabbed a quick lunch in between, and then headed to Spanish! After being assigned homework (in Spanish, yikes) I returned to my dorm room for a break before my English class. My English class is the class I'm most excited for, and it's also a pretty small class where freshmen like me are definitely a minority. And then... my day concluded with the ALS cold water challenge. As basic as it is to video yourself pouring water on your head...it was first of many fun college experiences! 

Feel free to leave comments below, and thank you for participating in my New Beginnings! 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Mentors