A Few Words on Summer

When I first came home for the summer, I was absolutely terrified to slip back into my home routine. Okay…maybe “terrified” is too strong of a word, but I was definitely very apprehensive. My first year at college was full of unforgettable experiences, and I was nervous that coming home would mean an end to that sense of adventure. But luckily for me, I could not have been more wrong.

Here are a few things about summer that I've always known to be true, but really experienced this summer.

Summer is for spending time with family.
While I didn’t do as much traveling this summer as my sister, I did go on a few adventures! My mom, sister, and I traveled a couple of times to Cincinnati to visit family.

The Cincinnati skyline.

I have always loved visiting Cincy because of all the family we have there, and recently I have really fallen in love with the city itself! The downtown area is not an area I had ever really explored, but on one trip this summer I spent an entire day downtown with my family and it was a blast! I am always thankful when I get to spend time with my wonderful family.

Hannah, mom, and I on the swings by the river in downtown Cincy,

Me with my cousin Lucy at my cousin Alex's graduation party.

Summer is for daytrips.
I also went on a short trip with my mom to Commiskey, IN and Columbus, IN where we ate lunch at a tea room, toured the J. Irwin Miller house (my mom LOVES architecture!) and ended the trip with dinner at Zaharako’s in Columbus!

At Stream Cliff Farms in Commiskey, IN.

Summer is for...having a summer job.
This summer, I experienced having my first job. Although I’ve spent many years babysitting, I decided that having a real job would be a good experience! I worked all summer as a hostess at a restaurant, and I am glad I did so, because I have made many friends and learned a lot.

Looking forward to my future, I also was lucky enough to job shadow the marketing coordinator at my dad’s office and was able to learn more about the career that I want to eventually have! I spent the morning learning about her job, sat in on a marketing meeting, and even helped write part of the company newsletter! At the end of the day, my dad took me out for a good lunch! It was a great day and makes me even more excited for the classes I will take over the next few years that will prepare me for my dream job.

Summer is for concerts.
While work took up a lot of my time, I found time to have fun this summer! I don’t usually go to many concerts, but this summer I ended up going to four! My first of the summer was Lana Del Rey, followed by J. Cole and Big Sean. Later in the summer, my mom and I went to one of our very favorite artists, Kelly Clarkson.  Then finally, just a little over one week ago, I went to One Direction with my sister and friend Mary, who came all the way from Michigan to visit and attend the concert! One Direction was definitely the most crowded concert I went to, and although the population consisted primarily of screaming tweens and bored dads on their cell phones, it was probably my favorite. Kelly Clarkson would be a close second; I loved sharing that experience with my mom and singing along to all the songs I loved as a little girl!

Top left: me and my sorority "big" at Lana Del Rey. Top right:me and my friend Sarah at J.Cole.
Bottom left: me and my mom at Kelly Clarkson. Bottom right: me, Hannah, and Mary after One Direction.

Summer is for starting new.
As fun and relaxing as this summer has been, I feel that I am ready to move back in a little less than a week! Time to recharge is very important, and now that I’ve had that time, I am infinitely excited for all the possibilities of a new school year (and a New Beginning.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes