A Special Kind of Holiday Season

After Thanksgiving is over, our society seems to make a straight shot to Christmas, although there is nearly a month in between the two holidays. I’m not complaining though, because as cliché as it sounds, this is my favorite time of year.

The month of December has always enchanted me. Usually, December marks the first snowfall, the beginning of winter, and I can finally get excited for the holiday season.

The sensations associated with the wintertime are so appealing…from cuddling up in blankets and sipping hot chocolate while you watch “Love Actually,” to decorating your room with twinkly lights and watching the snow fall outside.

Celebrating the holiday season can be difficult when you’re away from home, but it’s definitely possible! To get into the spirit of the season, last week I went to the Enchanted Luminaria Walk in Minnetrista, a beautiful park right next to Ball State.

I have found other little ways to celebrate, like going on a roomie date to IHOP to get seasonal pumpkin spice waffles, red velvet pancakes, and alleviate a little bit of finals-related stress.

Sterling, Noah, and me at the entrance to Minnetrista.

Sterling and me caught off guard by the lights displays.

Sarah Elizabeth and me enjoying our outing to IHOP.

This time of year is always interesting for me because of the different religions celebrated just within my family.

I have gotten to experience the holiday season in a very unique way. My mother is Jewish, while my father is a Methodist, and so my sister and I have grown up with both religions.

I appreciate the traditions surrounding both Judaism and Christianity, and have celebrated these traditions with my family forever. Those lucky years where Hanukkah and Christmas coincide are especially festive!

In my opinion, being thankful for the family and friends surrounding you, indulging yourself in winter traditions, and, most importantly, allowing the holiday season to overcome you is what’s important to remember during this time of the year.

That being said, I am very excited to only have one and a half weeks before I get to relax with my hot chocolate and celebrate the season with my family over winter break!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Mentors