New Year, New Blog Post

At a gathering on New Year’s Eve, I was asked to reflect on something good from my year in 2015, and to look ahead towards something I am looking forward to for 2016. As we went around the table sharing our answers, I found it very difficult to narrow it down to just one event for each. It was in this moment, as I came closer and closer to being the next person to speak, that I realized this is not such a terrible problem to have. I am extremely blessed with the people in my life, as well as the many opportunities I was presented in 2015.

In 2015, I embraced leadership positions in my sorority, Sigma Kappa, as well as expanded relationships with my sisters.
  • Panhellenic Delegate  following our elections in November of 2014, I was set to be a part of the programming board for my second semester of freshman year. However, in January of 2015, the position of Panhellenic Delegate opened up and I was nominated by another leader in our chapter to fill the position. After I was selected by my chapter, I became part of my chapter’s executive board as only a freshman! Through this position I grew infinitely more confident in myself, and learned how to be organized as well as how to be a leader within Sigma Kappa.
  •  Roomie → In August, I moved back in to Ball State with my beautiful friend and sorority sister Sarah Elizabeth. We had lots of fun decorating our dorm room and getting to know our RA and floor mates, and love having our venting sessions every night!
  • Little → I got my first little, Camille, in October. She is absolutely perfect and a wonderful addition to our Greek family. I was excited to see her get initiated in November!
  • Executive Vice President → In our elections at the end of 2015, I was approached to apply for positions on executive councils for both Sigma Kappa and Panhellenic Council. After deliberating within myself and talking it over with my friends, I decided to try and run for a position within Sigma Kappa in order to keep growing as a leader within my own chapter. Fortunately, I was elected to fill the role of Executive Vice President, and I am already very excited to begin starting this semester!
In 2015, I enjoyed a couple of intercollegiate visits as well.
  • Over my fall break in October, I visited my friend Sarah at University of Michigan. We went to a crazy Michigan football game (they won!) and I got to experience living in a sorority house, if only for one night. I loved seeing this important part of Sarah's world!
  • Later in October, my lifelong friend Holly visited from Purdue and we spent time together at one of Ball State’s last tailgates.
In 2015, I made a couple of steps towards becoming a real-life grown-up.
  • During the summer, I got my first job that wasn’t babysitting or nannying. For the months of June, July, and August, I worked as a hostess and food runner at a restaurant in Indy. In addition to having something to do every day, I made some friends and some money, which are never a bad thing!
  •  In November, I signed my first lease for an apartment. Next year, I will be living off-campus in an adorable two-bedroom with my friend Sarah Elizabeth. 
2015 was filled with countless late nights, spontaneous adventures, and nervous breakdowns with my friends Sterling and Noah. This past year was a growing year, and little did I know I had a lot of growing up to do. Like anyone, I made some mistakes, but I learned from them. I learned that you can’t always count on other people, but there are the select few that you can always count on. And now, I look forward to 2016 with not only enthusiasm and excitement, but with a sense of optimism that this will be one of my best years yet

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side

Visits From Friends & First Football Game

Intro: Welcome Week and First Day of Classes